6.02.2007

Dress Up in You

Firstly, welcome to Modiste, the new incarnation of The Ivy! Ivy graduated from college and is now a "grown-up," trying to find that perfect balance between professionalism and style. But be assured that Modiste will offer more than the outfit ideas that made The Ivy famous. The word modiste is French, referring to a dressmaker. I like to think that I will be a dressmaker of sorts, showing my readers lots of lovely clothes and ways to put them together.

My first assignment, as suggested by an Ivy reader, is to show you some outfit ideas for interviews. While there are so many different interpretations of the word "appropriate" depending on the kind of job you're interviewing for, I think the safest way to dress for an interview is simple but creative. Don't show too much skin and definitely don't be sloppy.
For a conservative look, the wide leg trouser and button down is foolproof. While I'm sure we'd all love to just wear tank tops and miniskirts in the summer heat, this is probably not the best for an interview! Short sleeves are just fine, but if you think you need to be covered up more, bring a lightweight blazer or cardigan just in case. Wide leg trousers allow for maximum airiness. Top it off with colorful flats and a funky bag for some personality. Nobody wants to be stuck in a grey cubicle without some flair!
Ah, skirts. What could be more comfortable in the summer? Pick a knee length for your interview, and I find a-line or tulip skirts to be the most flattering. Heels are great with skirts, and perfectly acceptable interview wear, as long as they're not bondage gear or overly strappy. Simple closed toe pumps are the way to go. With skirts, it's all about balance, so pick a top with a higher neckline. This one is sheer and breathable, and a thin tank underneath will provide coverage without making you overheat. Again, let the accessories pop. Green earrings and a green bag look positively mahvelous with a bright coral top!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Wonderful blog and outfits. Want to exchange links?

June 2, 2007 at 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I would just like to introduce myself to the new blog I am following from The Ivy and would just like to say that even though I am not a young professional I am still excited to see the new direction the you are taking.

June 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Rachelle - Glad to see a former Ivy reader!

Emma - Thanks for the comment! I'd love to exchange links with you.

June 3, 2007 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Azzurra said...

thanks for responding to my question:)!very inspirational outfits...it's sad to have to sacrifice your own style in order to take the 'safe route', and end up looking like everyone else in a black suit and black loafers!
PS: I have been trying to add Modiste to my google reader, but i can't find the feed address...

June 3, 2007 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger olya said...

Depending on the field you're going for... I'd say that anything that is not in the creative fields - the best thing to do is to dress very conservatively, and let your personality shine through. Dressing in black slacks and a white blouse shows that you respect the interviewer.

June 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Azzu - You're welcome, it was a great idea. Sorry, but I'm clueless about the Google thing...

Olya - Yes, conservative is a safe bet, but again, as long as you look professional and clean, I don't think the interviewer will have a problem with color. We live in a modern world, and even the most stodgy investment bankers can appreciate creativity in work wear!

June 4, 2007 at 7:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

where are the tan shoes from?

June 6, 2007 at 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home