6.07.2007

Anthropologie, How Do I Love Thee?

I have a well-documented and deep love for Anthropologie. Ever since I was charmed by its so-beautiful-it-could-be-framed catalog and gorgeous clothes in high school, I have never looked back. Some brush it off as merely a mall store, the kind that breed the dreaded sightings of other girls in your clothes. But I think it's so much more than that. I may not be the best example, but in the several years I have been shopping at Anthropologie and accumulating enough of their clothes to open my own Anthro annex, I have never encountered another girl wearing the same Anthro stuff as me. They have so many different brands in one spot, it's more like a department store than anything else.

I just find their vintage style clothes to be so unique, and so well-marketed as to make me want everything, even things that I do not consider particularly attractive. The catalogs are an endless source of inspiration, what with their inventive photo shoots and genius product styling. I mean, who can resist the clothes when they are displayed on beautiful models in such locales as seedy roadside diners, dusty third world outposts, and worn and weathered mansions? And the product names and descriptions! I think my ideal job would be to write those descriptions and come up with those names. I mean, would you rather buy "Silk Blouse" or "Painter's Palette Top"? Pretty easy decision, huh? I just love dreaming up scenarios in which I would wear a "Cape Victoria Top," or "Destination Trousers." "Crystal Village Blouse," "Seabed Dress," "Floating Lotus Tank," "Ms. Professor Cardigan"...don't they sound so romantic? Anyone can wear a sweater, but a "Ms. Professor Cardigan" requires someone with an imagination.

And in a sea of collaborations, Anthro's spot-on partnerships have gone somewhat unnoticed. Anna Sui's penchant for bright colors and the juxtaposition of patterns make her perfect for designing dresses exclusively for the store. More recently, Tocca and Hayden-Harnett both design exclusive bags, and French Sole have created ballet flats with very Anthro batik prints.

If nothing else, Anthropologie embodies the fantasy of fashion. Step into the store and it's like entering a stylish, worldly woman's wardrobe, filled with all the treasures that she has collected from her travels. Mixed with vintage, indie, or designer clothes, Anthropologie's wares fit in seamlessly while still managing to make a statement.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's what they want you to think of them...

June 8, 2007 at 5:26 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Well then they've done their job haven't they?

June 8, 2007 at 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I think there may possibly be two Rachelle's commenting on your blog. Well while we are confessing here I go to Anthropologie's website nearly everyday. Sadly the store closest to my home is in San Fransisco and that is nearly two hours away. Oh the wonders of the internet!

June 8, 2007 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home