7.02.2007

This Academic Factory

Just when summer is beginning to heat up, when we're all stripping down to the bare minimum amount of clothing, fashion disciples start thinking about fall. It's inevitable, what with all of the new collections and magazines stirring up images of colorful leaves and cozy knits. It's around this time that I used to (still do!) wait for my back to school issue of Teen Vogue, my heart beating faster with the anticipation of shopping for the most collegiate fall clothes I could find. There's just something so nostalgic and so romantic about the crisp air, dreams of studying at Oxford, and sophisticated English tweeds. It just makes me want the arrival of autumn to come swiftly. Even though my school days are behind me, I still relish those moments. When I'm wearing my trench, trilby, and proper trousers, I can just imagine myself traipsing through the grounds of Oxford, those imposing Gothic structures looming overhead, searching for just the right Keats quotation to impress that cute English boy with...

The Inspirations
For inspiration, definitely catch the film version of Alan Bennett's play, The History Boys, as well as the classic Harry Potter films. I find Harry Potter to be a particularly good source, as bits of the films were shot at Oxford, plus who can deny the charm of crest-bearing blazers and stripy scarves?

I am positively smitten with Franz Ferdinand. These Glaswegians are very style conscious, not only in terms of the clothing that they wear, but also in the art direction and design of their albums and videos. The video for one of my favorite songs of theirs, "The Dark of the Matinée" features the boys in their school uniforms, bored out of their minds, and daydreaming about when they can escape the doldrums of academia. Listen to the song, watch the video, and reminisce.

The Fashions
The perfect professional look for an important meeting, interview, or lecture! Show those stodgy, tweedy Brits how to do the classic collegiate look with edge. A prim silk blouse from Anthropologie is a little bit sexy secretary, and looks alluring underneath a chocolate corduroy blazer from J.Crew. Also from Anthropologie, wool high waist trousers add an androgynous touch, as does the tweed trilby. Marc's Quinn tote holds all of those books and papers, while L.A.M.B.'s gorgeous oxford pumps finish off the look.

For casual classes, studying in the library, or snogging on the lawns minidresses and riding boots are de rigeur. J.Crew's plaid shirtdress is sophisticated with a classic trench from Built By Wendy (it's lined in plaid too!) and crocodile embossed riding boots by Rafe. Add a pop of color with a bold checked scarf from Burberry, naturally. For a different look, try Built By Wendy's kelly green and black striped minidress. All you'll need to do for a night out pub crawling with your pals is throw on some black opaque tights and silver ballet flats for a swinging 60s London look. Don't stay out too late though - it's a school night.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, very inspiring transition from the inspiration to the interpretation. *Love* those LAMB shoes (and I haven't loved anything Gwen's done in a while) and the floofy pink blouse. Great ensembles.

July 6, 2007 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Ariana | Paris To Go said...

Wendy has been a bitch lately but that dress strikes a pleasant note with me

July 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Thanks for the comments! I too love the LAMB shoes, they were sort of the inspiration for this whole post! And I am definitely liking the BBW spring collection. I love the nautical flair. And it's all on sale by the way.

July 7, 2007 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Nisha said...

Love the last outfit - great boots!

July 11, 2007 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I was an avid reader of The Ivy, and I find this one great also! Please try to find some time to post more often-- your outfits are inspiring.

July 14, 2007 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Thank you Nisha and Christina for the comments. I will definitely try to post more often. It is great to hear that you enjoy the outfits!

July 14, 2007 at 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FRANZ FERDINAND!
Woo! I saw them and they were brillant. Yay. They are stylin, baby. Hah. I love the schoolkid look. Especially in "Hit Me Baby One More Time" Lolita Britney, where did you go wrong?

July 14, 2007 at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home