7.19.2007

Keep Your Trousers On

I am in a very 70s mood right now: plaid shirts, platform pumps, and of course, wide legged trousers. The look is a very classic one, and great for fall, but just as nice for summer. Wide legged navy trousers worn on cool summer evenings bring to mind cruises on the Riviera in the 20s, or Jackie O. summering in Capri. Take these Alice & Olivia lightweight wool trousers from now to the turning of the leaves in fall with a few simple changes.

People usually stick to a simple, snug-fitting top with wide leg trousers for fear of drowning in volume, but I say embrace it! Smartly, though. Pick a pair that is fitted through the rear and thighs, that way you can wear something floaty on top, like this bohemian embroidered blouse by Topshop. Wear it with a Paul Smith inspired bangle and silver croc-embossed sandals by Bernardo for a casual feel, or throw on a silky Urban Outfitters headscarf and BCBG wedges for something a little more groovy. Sit at a cafe sipping pastis and just watch the world go by.
These trousers are in their element when worn in fall. Pair them with a simple cashmere tee from J. Crew and a luxe capelet from Delia's (how surprising is that!?) to channel your inner Sherlock Holmes. Top it off with a cute cap from Topshop. The French Connection top has a very artsy print that picks up the blue of the trousers and the red of these mary janes by Max Studio. For some reason it gives me an Andy Warhol vibe. And that is very cool.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so tempted by that Delia's capelet the other day. So cute for fall.

July 23, 2007 at 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a reader of The Ivy and I love your new blog! I'm about to start my first job out of college and I've always used your blogs as inspiration for casual but stylish/professional office wear. Did you save your archives from The Ivy or are they gone forever?

July 27, 2007 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Ambika - Isn't that capelet great? It's very chic for Delia's!

Rachelle - Glad to hear you like the new blog. I regret that all of the Ivy stuff has vanished into the ether, but I will try to post more outfits on this one for inspiration!

July 28, 2007 at 7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok thanks! You are doing a great job with this one, I just wish I had saved some of the images from the old blog, but I'm looking forward to more posts here!

July 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Fantastic outfit. Makes me nostalgic for a time when I didn't exist.

July 29, 2007 at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home