8.29.2007

What to Wear to a Texan Wedding: Hint, No Ten Gallon Hats

For the first of my reader requests, I'll tackle the question: What to wear to a Texas wedding in November? Since I don't know the specifics of the event, I've put together a couple of dressy looks, a couple of (semi)casual ones. All the dresses are under $150, and the accessories are mostly around $50, so they are budget friendly. And, you can wear everything again, for many different occasions, so it will be a good use of your cash!First, for a dressy wedding, I have picked two silk dresses. They are simple, but gorgeous, and since this is a fall wedding, I've kept the palette rich and jewel-toned. Bold chandelier earrings and silver pumps add fanciness. Since Texas is still pretty mild in November, I thought it was safe to go spare with the dresses, but because it can get chilly, I would suggest a lightweight pointelle shrug or a pashmina. A 3/4 length coat with bracelet sleeves would also work.
Because I am old-fashioned, I would step up the casual look for an event such as a wedding. Even if everyone else is dressed down. It's a special occasion no matter what, so you should look it. But there is no need to go over the top. I think a shirtdress is a good way to go. The Steve Madden dress is actually taffeta, but the shape and the pinstriping give it a different vibe. I like the mix of masculine and feminine. The low heeled pumps have sneaker-like perforations, but the material is a glittery gold, so that gives them a dressier feel. The red dress is jersey, so not only is it casual, it's also comfortable. If you need some warmth, with these kinds of dresses I would suggest a little cotton jacket with 3/4 length sleeves to tone everything down a little. A simple cardigan sweater would be great too.

I hope this helps! At the very least I hope I gave you some inspiration. And to everyone else who suggested something: I will get to your requests! Just give me a little time and be patient. If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please comment!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne At Large said...

Love the wedding ideas - I am getting ready to go to a wedding in Tahoe at the end of September and I got an adorable little black dress but I can't for the life of me find a good dressy fall sweater or short coat to wear. I'm going to freeze! Any tips? The dress is simple but the bottom half is pleated and swingy so I don't want anything too cropped, do I just need to stall longer until fall styles hit the stores? Help!

August 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Try a department store like Nordstrom, they have a lot of options. A fitted jacket would work as well as a coat, especially if the skirt starts to swing out at the waist or a little below. If the bottom of the jacket hits at that point, it will keep the look streamlined and emphasize a small waist.

And you don't have to find something super dressy. A simple, nice wool coat in a bright color like blue or green will look lovely against the black, and will be enhanced if you pick dressy accessories.

Did I help at all?

August 30, 2007 at 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loooove that second Maggy London dress. So perfect for work, too.

August 31, 2007 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger elysa said...

I love your choices. Red is always a good choice IMHO. I will add one bit of advice from a native Texan - LAYER. One minute it can be 80 degrees and the next 40. I'm really not exaggerating. So it's always important to have versatile pieces.

September 5, 2007 at 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I knew I could count on your sense of style. :)

September 7, 2007 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home