9.30.2007

All it Takes...

I have already done this post, but upon retrospect I realized I didn't do it as well as I would have liked. So here it is again, but new and improved! A reader asked me to pick a few items, and then illustrate how to put them together in various and interesting ways. I hope this shows you that a great wardrobe does not require a ton of clothes. Use your creativity, and you can come up with a lot of fantastic outfits.I started with really basic pieces, to emphasize that you don't need a closet filled with unique, crazy, or expensive designer clothes to make stylish outfits. I only included shoes, because I thought other accessories would clutter up the images, so use your imagination on that front! Throw in a bold necklace, patterned scarf, or an artistic hat to give these looks more mileage and personality. For casual wear, easy basics like jeans and a jersey dress will get you through a lot of different events. This sweater is a good piece to own, because it looks like two tops layered but it's really just one. It adds a lot of interest, but it didn't take a lot off effort. Here, I paired it with jeans. But you could add the military blazer to dress it up a bit, or throw it over the dress to make a sweater/skirt combo. You could wear the blazer with the dress as well, and the red sweater would look great layered over or under the dress.
Trousers and a nice wool skirt are perfect work basics. A little button down is ideal as well, and can be worn with the red sweater or the military blazer. Throw the blazer on over the sweater and skirt combo as well. Or wear the shirt under the sweater with the skirt for another look. I think you get the idea: a lot can be accomplished with simple layering! It's all the same stuff, but they take on a different feel when paired differently.
The workwear trousers and casual jeans make another appearance, but dressed up by bright satin and velvet! You can wear any of the tops with any of the bottoms for a variety of looks. The green shoes are fine for evening because of the flashy color and shiny gold buckle.
Finally, a few more outfits to get your juices flowing. Try the velvet blazer for day by pairing it with the tweed skirt and the chunky brown heels. The button down also helps to tone down the velvet. You could even wear the velvet jacket with the next outfit - the dress tucked into the pants ( = a top!) with the green flats. The military blazer would look good with this as well. As another example of how to take your eveningwear into the daytime, the military blazer and satin top are made casual with jeans.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Azzurra said...

I love the posts in which you deal with what I call the empty-closet problem!But here's a tougher question (possibly the topic for a future post?I'd love to read your take on this): what to wear to a fashion show??I'm lucky enough to have a friend who works in the fashion business and always has invites to all the shows during Milan fashion week, but when she invites me I always end up panicking because..well..what's more difficult than picking an outfit for a fashonista-packed event when you are just a poor grad student with a closet full of jeans?please come to the rescue:)

October 1, 2007 at 4:19 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Azzu - That is a very good question! And a a very intimidating one at that. But I will do my best - keep on the lookout for a post very soon.

October 1, 2007 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger helen said...

Where are the brown heels and cream button-down from?

October 1, 2007 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Helen - The brown heels are by Steve Madden, I believe, and the button down is Topshop.

October 1, 2007 at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home