10.01.2007

Be Beaux Arts: The Rainy Day Flapper

Welcome to my new series, Be Beaux Arts! You may recognize this idea from a post I did a while ago on dressing the part of Marie Antoinette at Le Petite Trianon, based on a painting by Vigee Le Brun. Well, I liked that a lot, so I decided to make this a regular thing. I love art, and I think that it is a wonderful place to gain fashion inspiration. So, for today's venture, I have chosen this lovely 1920s fashion illustration. Not exactly fine arts, but beautiful nonetheless!
You're not a flapper until you have the drop waisted dress. This little number has a pleated skirt, and looks like the foundation of a Suzanne Lenglen tennis ensemble. To emphasize the garconne look, a pair of shiny black oxfords let you stride through puddles just like the boys. And don't forget a little deco inspired shrug to keep the chill off. Top it all with a green brolly and jaunty cloche and you'll be the bee's knees!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had I gone to grad school, this is the period my dissertation would have been on. I am just obsessed with the look, the details, the art...love this.

October 2, 2007 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Thanks, ambika! I too am enamored with 20s style. It's so unique.

October 2, 2007 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where is the umbrella from?

October 2, 2007 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Connie, the umbrella is from signaturebella.com. It's a really gorgeous umbrella huh? Too bad it's so pricey.

October 2, 2007 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger dreamecho said...

i LOVE this! you've done such a great job of bringing this image into something one could actually wear. also, this is such a great idea for a series! you have inspired me to look out for my own fashion inspiration :)

but...where are the cloche and brogues from?!

October 9, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Thanks dreamecho! The cloche is by Goorin, the brogues are from Zappos, and they're by Robert Cleregie (sp?)

October 13, 2007 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger dreamecho said...

thanks! i am going to zappos NOW!

October 16, 2007 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home