1.07.2008

Be Beaux Arts: Dancers of Degas

BBA is a series in which I use a piece of artwork as fashion inspiration. This time I have chosen Edgar Degas' 1878 Dancers, a beautiful, lyrical work that showcases one of his inspirations: ballet. I am feeling drawn to soft shades of pink and grey, as you can probably tell! The hazy quality of the Degas pastel is so evocative of smooth silk, rustling tulle, and the lithe bodies of the dancers. It's such a calming world.
Pink and grey are classic ballet colors. They are simple and quiet, but when combined with interesting shapes and a dancer's attitude, these two unassuming colors become electrifying! Of course you must get the shades right: light pink and dove grey or slate grey with a touch of blue are ideal. Wrap sweaters, like the ruffled grey one from Anthropologie, immediately nod to ballet. Lush layers of fabric like the ruffled pink sweater from Anthropologie and the white empire dress from Max Studio are like tulle skirts, but much more wearable for everyday. And you don't need to wear ballet flats to get the ballet look. Pink and grey on any round toed shoe will suffice. Both shown are from UO.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never tire of these dusky ballet shades... something about the delicacy of mixing light grey and pale pink...

January 8, 2008 at 3:01 AM  
Blogger Blaze said...

Pink and grey are such a lovely color palette! You have inspired me to do some kind of painting! :) Isn't that funny how that works?

Painting, Fashion, Painting...

Hopefully I can continue the inspiration!

January 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Susie - Thanks for the comment! I feel quite honored.

Blaze - I'm glad to have given you inspiration! And your work is so beautiful I am sure I will be inspired by you too.

January 9, 2008 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Blaze said...

Haha! I think without consciously thinking it... your palette inspired my own post this morning! See! I told you!

January 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I love this painting, there's a card-board version of it on my wall. I've never quite understood how inspirational it could be for dressing!

January 9, 2008 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Degas is such a great place to find inspiration!

January 9, 2008 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Blaze - Funny! We've begun a cycle.

Indie - Thanks for commenting!

Heather - Agreed. I love Degas and the other Impressionists.

January 10, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home