1.11.2008

Two Stylish Sisters

As you all well know, the 1920s is one of my favorite time periods. I love the dramatic changes that happened during the decade, especially the changes in fashion. The colors, lines, fabrics, and silhouettes were becoming looser and longer. Designers were more creative and innovative with their work. It truly was a unique time for design.

One of my favorite television series is The House of Eliott, a BBC series that aired in the 1990s - so long ago now! The series follows two sisters, Beatrice (Bea) and Evangeline (Evie) Eliott as they live their dream: to build a successful fashion house in 1920s London. It is such a shame that I cannot find many pictures of the show, but the costumes are so lavish and exciting. They really transport me to the roaring 20s! I find many of the ensembles to be quite modern as well. In one of the first episodes Evie wears a blouson top with very skinny pants, and she looks like one of the many pretty young things captured by The Sartorialist! In the later episodes, both Bea and Evie become more daring with their style, but I personally enjoy Evie's style the best. She always takes risks and is never afraid to be different. I especially enjoy her long necklaces and artfully tied headscarves! The hats are gorgeous as well - I am longing for a perfect cloche to wear jauntily atop my head.
Both sisters have an appreciation for art, and they try to transmit that passion through their own clothes as well as through their designs. The House of Eliott gains a reputation as being one of the most innovative new fashion houses. For their second collection, Evie suggests having ballet dancers model the clothes instead of traditional mannequins. It created a bit of a controversy, but in the end it proved that the Eliott sisters know how to make an impact!
Even though their business sense sometimes leaves something to be desired, they always push themselves to be unique. This is a timeless lesson to be learned! Never compromise when it comes to your style.

Unrelated side note: Juno is one boss movie, dudes! Go see it now!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to buy this boxset for ever so long! I've had several people say that I would absolutely adore this series and I know I would... just need to fork out the money for it!

January 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Blaze said...

I love the style from the 20's! I love the jazz, attire, and colors! :) Thanks for the heads up, I have never heard about this show before.

And I cannot WAIT to see juno!

January 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love how head-to-toe their looks are. The make-up, hair, and shoes all complete the look.

January 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This seems like a great show! I love the 20s too, not only for the changes in fashion but also for the progress for women it symbolized... that's kind of the idea of the name behind my blog but that's a long story.

And, I loved Juno too!

January 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Thank you all for the comments!

Susie - You should definitely check out the series, I think you'd really enjoy it!

Blaze - You're welcome! I hope you get a chance to check it out. And you must see Juno, it was great!

Clothes Horse - I love that coordination too. I think sometimes people don't pay as much attention to that these days.

Heather - You are right about the advances in women's rights during the 20s. I think that in some ways, the changes in fashion really symbolized that new freedom. I love your blog title, too! Ive read Flapper and it was very enjoyable.

January 12, 2008 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I remember watching this PBS years and years ago. I wonder if Netflix has it available...

January 14, 2008 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Ambika - Yeah, Netflix has it!

January 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home