3.03.2008

The Sound of Fashion: Vampire Weekend

Welcome to another installment of TSOF, where I make up a couple of outfits based on the style of a particular album. My choice this time is Vampire Weekend, an indie band formed in a Columbia dorm room. They have been getting a lot of hype lately, and usually that makes me a little leery.

But I have given their debut a good listen and all I have to say is "wow." These guys rock. Their songs are inspired by relationships, the Ivy life, and summer weekends on the Cape. Basically, it is prep to the core. But they have brought together disparate musical styles, like African musical traditions and 80s bands like Talking Heads (whom I adore, by the way) to create something utterly unique, and damn catchy.

For my VW inspired outfits, I have chosen some preppy standbys like Sperry Top-Siders and rope belted navy capris, as well as a khaki skirt and striped blazer. But just like VW, I've thrown in some ethnic inspiration with the printed Built By Wendy camisole and bright African headscarf. There is definitely a hint of the 80s as well, as evident in the blazer's angular lines and bold print and the red patent bag. I think it's a good mix of Blair and Serena (for all of you GG fans out there) that sums up the style of Vampire Weekend: old school meets new school.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ane said...

Oh, I really like this blog!

March 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The boyfriend just bought this and I've been seeing articles on them everywhere. Love the outfit styled on their look.

March 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! I'm totally digging the white and blue striped shirt! :) I need to get me one of those! ;)

March 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger geri hirsch said...

i looove vampire weekend, going to see them in 2 weeks, eeeeeeeeeee!!! and i think you inspired my outfit for the concert so thank you!

March 6, 2008 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Thanks all for the comments! Addicted - Have fun at the concert! I'm glad I helped inspire you.

March 7, 2008 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Casey Lewis said...

Oh, I adore Vampire Weekend!
Addicted, I'm so jealous that you get to see them live. Enjoy it!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home