3.19.2008

Ah, To Be Young Again

I have loved J. Crew for a ridiculously long time. I adore their quirky preppy aesthetic, the fresh faced models, and the beautiful styling and photography of their catalogs. It makes sense that I would be equally enamored of their Crewcuts collection, petite sized J. Crew togs for the privileged kids.

You may scoff, but take a good look, and I guarantee you will be as amazed as I am at the chicness of these clothes. More often than not, I end up liking the Crewcuts selections better than the clothes for the adults! I may be experiencing regression, but if I get to wear these mini fashions, then that's fine by me.Here's an example of that fashionably slick photography. How adorable do these kids look? And I even hate kids! Even though I'll be focusing on the girl's clothes in this post - cuz I'm a girl - I must say that the boy's clothes are equally as fetching. Little madras and seersucker blazers, plaid shirts, and bright sweaters, oh my!
Behold, the Grace dress. Appropriate name for such a sweet 60s shift. I love the jeweled neckline on this.
This is the shirtdress of my dreams. Dear J. Crew, can you please please make this in adult sizes? The ruffled collar, bell sleeves, and empire waist are so lovely. I really enjoyed how they styled it in the early spring catalog, with a gondolier's hat, yellow wellies, and a tulle skirt peeking out - CUTE!
This makes me think of Valentino for all of its ruffled goodness. I hate bright colors like this, but somehow I find it perfect for the style of the dress. The back is a real show stopper, with a big box pleat and little crystal buttons.
Another thing to love about Crewcuts, and J. Crew in general, is how they really think about the designs, adding in little details that make a boring piece special. I am taken by the ruffled sleeves, subtle sparkle, and pockets. Again, this would be perfect for your adult customers, J. Crew!
Another perfect little 60s silhouette, this time in a metallic brocade fabric. I still cannot picture any kid I know wearing anything like this though. Especially when you consider the price of most of these garments. Nearly $300 jackets for little snotty? No thanks.
Metallic ruffled tulle skirt. Enough said.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post!! Great color and insight! :) Jcrew is so cute! I have never really ventured in, but the colors always grab my gaze while window watching! Perhaps I should take a peek inside?!

March 19, 2008 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger maverickandlove said...

those are such cute clothes! if i ever have kids i want to dress them in those garments! i love wearing j.crew and mixing it up with vintage urban shirts or jeans

March 19, 2008 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

It reminds me of the "old days" when children were dressed like adults...we're kind of going back there. If I could afford it, and was of the age to have children, I would let my kids wear this--as long as they went crazy on top of the basics!

March 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the crew cuts! i used to drool over them in the 4000 catologues i recieved in the mail, but now they carry them in stores and the employees basically have to throw me out before i steal them for myself haha just kidding, but i wish i were dressed in those! then again they're costly, especially when junior will probably spill chocolate pudding all over it haha

though i do have a friend who wants to buy the largest crewcut ballet flats for herself, since they're 10x cheaper than the adult ones!

March 21, 2008 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Sheryl W said...

I like the tulle skirt now..although I hated such dressing when I was young...the irony of it all..haha

March 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Bobble Bee said...

jcrew has the best fabric color palette in the market, and i want to be that young again, that's by the way :)

May 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is a really good collection of girls tops, bottoms & sweater dresses. I am happy to designer dresses collection here.

November 13, 2016 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home